[If you haven't already, check out the lists that more virtuous folks submitted to Present Mag.]
An observation: Some critics I know seem to prepare their end-of-the-year lists as they go along. Probably because they know what a pain it will be if they don't. God bless them. But it's just not the way I listen to music. Some of the best stuff I heard this year was borrowed from the library and sometimes put out decades ago. Thank you Cal Tjader, Lee Morgan, Lou Rawls, et al.
Caveat: Since I didn't get to hear every album or see every show, the following are list of favorites, not a best-of.
Local (aka KC) Releases
Listed in in alpha order. No particular ranking is implied, dammit.
- Alaadeen - And The Beauty of It All - Ballads (ASR)
- Beau Bledsoe - Ole Che
- Eldar - Re-Imagination (Sony)
- Charles Gatschet - Step Lightly
- Russ Long - Time to Go (Passit) Released in December 2006, too late to make it onto my 2006 list.
- The Harold O'Neal Project - Charlie's Suite - Ballads (PME Records)
Listed in alpha order. No particular ranking is implied, again, dammit.
- The Bad Plus - Prog (Heads Up)
- Terrance Blanchard - A Tale of God's Will (Blue Note)
- Michel Camilo - Spirit of the Moment (Telarc)
- Sara Gazarek - Return to You (Native Language)
- Robert Glasper - In My Element (Blue Note/EMI)
- Charlie Hunter Trio - Mistico (Fantasy)
- Metheny Mehldau - Quartet (Nonesuch)
- Maria Schneider Jazz Orchestra - Sky Blue (ArtistShare)
- Esbjörn Svensson Trio - Tuesday Wonderland (Emarcy)
- Rudder - Rudder (Nineteen Eight)
- Terrel Stafford Quintet - Taking Chances: Live at the Dakota (MaxJazz)
- Abram Wilson - Ride! Ferris Wheel To The Modern Day Delta (Dune)
A tough category for TNLD in 2007, given my vampire schedule. Still, there were weekends. These, by the way, are in order. Dammit.